What is a Health and Safety Management System?Posted in Technology
A health and safety management system is a framework of processes that help a business manage workplace safety. Most of the procedures within this system are communicated to employees and managed with the use of a relevant computer software. For example, companies often use computers to record dates of equipment maintenance checks.
What Are the Benefits of Health and Safety Management Systems?
A good health and safety system will contain the following elements:
– Company policy and the ability to develop policy in the future.
– An organizational development program.
– Features that allow for planning and implementation.
– A way to measure the system’s performance.
– Continual auditing of the system.
– A method of reviewing and altering performance arrangements.
The program will essentially make the company’s health and safety procedures clear to employees, visitors and clients. This will reduce workplace illness and injury. Businesses will benefit from this as they will avoid lawsuits and their staff will not have to take time off to recover. In short, having an effective health and safety management system will increase workplace productivity, protect the health of employees and prevent financial loss. eCompliance offers affordable management systems for your company.
How to Set Up a Health and Safety System
The first step in setting up health and safety procedures is determining company policies. The ideal policy will have realistic objectives which are in line with the company’s beliefs. It should also protect stakeholder interests by meeting legal requirements. The goal of the policy should be to contain workplace risks and ensure that there are enough resources available to meet the business’s goals. Once policy has been drawn up, the business should devise a strategy for performance improvement.
Organizing the system properly will set up a health and safety culture within the workplace. Listed below are some key organizational tips that can help with the implementation of these processes.
– Communicate clear health and safety responsibilities and objectives to employees. This can be done by setting up meetings, distributing informational booklets and placing posters on walls.
– Encouraging employees to help plan processes, write procedures, solve problems and review performance of said processes.
– As every plan cannot be 100% effective, employees should be informed of what to do in an emergency situation. For example, fire exits should be clearly labeled and employees should know a few basic first aid procedures.
The secret to running a health and safety program is ensuring that the processes involved are effective. A company can do this by training their employees and reviewing the system regularly. It is also worth asking employees for feedback. People who use the program will be able to quickly identify its strengths and weaknesses. The program can then be adjusted to meet the employee’s needs.
Every business is responsible for its employee’s safety and well-being. As a result, identifying and containing workplace risks is essential. Companies who do this well will have minimal accidents at work. This will benefit them financially and make employees feel safe and secure within their working environment.